Thursday, May 15, 2008

Yangon - Day 1 : A Wet Affair


Yangon was, to say the least, an eye opener for me. It started with a blackout at the airport while we were waiting for our baggage. Not surprisingly, this was a first for my travel companions and I. Our astounded reaction elicited a comment from a local standing nearby - "Welcome to Yangon." This definitely paved the way for more to come...

Having just checked in at our 4-star hotel Parkroyal, we were very enthusiastic to explore the city. Alas, the weather was not on our side. It poured and poured and we had to seek shelter in a small temple. Even after 30 minutes, the rain refused to ebb and we slushed our way back to our hotel in the heavy rain, getting our shoes and pants all wet.


City of Yangon

The buildings in Yangon are old but yet they managed to retain their colonial charm. I was most captivated by the occassional colour that presented itself amidst the dull gloom of the city.


Manouvering the streets of Yangon turned out to be quite a challenge, especially since I was trying so darn hard to distance myself from birds. It seems that pigeons, or perhaps birds in general, hold special significance in Yangon, no doubt associated with the predominant religion here - Buddhism.

Pigeons roosting all over this colonial structure.

A country dotted with hundreds and hundreds of golden bell-shaped pagodas. The Sule pagoda, set against a backdrop of commercial buildings but nonetheless emanating a tranquil aura in contrast to the buzz of the city.

Squeezing into a public vehicle meant that the passengers had to cling to the edge of the bus/van in peril.

Peddling flowers on the street.

This antique elevator, complete with a brass gate, is housed in a very posh hotel - The Strand. I begged a hotel staff to take me in it. What a thrill!

2 comments:

YH said...

hey jelly belly
love yer pics! very nicely composed ;)

Jellbell from Hell said...

Welcome to my blog YH! I've got more photos on Facebook if you're interested! And do come back for pics of my upcoming Vietnam trip in 2 wks time!