Sunday, February 21, 2010

Home themes

Recently, Y commented that her new home will be decked out in a "shabby chic" theme. I was like, what?! shabby shit?! LOL She explained that shabby chic is to pepper a neutral interior with bright colours, e.g. turquoise cushions against a white backdrop. At least that's how I understood it to be.

I set out intending my place to carry the Scandinavian mid-century modern style. I did plenty of research on the modern retro and mid-century modern theme, and begged P to take me to view his bro's ID friend's mid-century home. I was mighty impressed that his friend managed to turn a 5-room HDB flat into a mid-century modern enclave. Vintage pendant lamps, tulip-base table and chairs from his grandma, teak wall paneling, someone's discarded metal gate restored and used as a divider between the kitchen and living room, the works.

For me, cost was an issue so I stuck as much as possible to the finishing that came with the condo (though they were not quite the theme), e.g. marble flooring, light oak doors, etc. Practically, the theme I wanted required an extensive use of teak paneling that I was not prepared to spend on. So I tried to inject as much "vintage" and "mid-century" elements as I could whilst making the most out of the finishing provided - the custom-built TV console with angled legs (a rarity in contemporary goods), a clean and simple tufted sofa in polyester fabric, framed prints of a vintage shop in Portobello, a vintage-inspired standing fan, a rotary-dial phone, a replica of the PH5 lamp and designer Aalto Artek dining table and classroom chairs (yet to arrive). To inject some colours into my home, I chose a quirky wallpaper design for the feature wall.

The typical mid-century modern home that can look a bit masculine.
http://www.midcenturymodernist.com/homes/

The improvised version that looks prettier and more girly.
http://www.orlakiely.com/

My next little project down the road is to get /design a side table to replace the iKea bin I am currently using, and maybe a small chair if space permits. Yay!

No comments: