Sunday, May 16, 2010

Last instalment - Classical Vienna

It may come as a surprise, but Vienna was my least favourite city of the trip. It felt like just another city, and a small one for that matter with much less shopping. Not that I was there with the intention to shop, as shopping to me, should be a "by-the-way" sort of thing and not the main focus of any trip (unless it's meant to be a shopping trip in the first place).

Unlike other major cities where museums charge close to nothing, Vienna's museums were horrendously pricey (EUR 9 and above). Last year, we didn't have to pay a cent to visit the National Gallery at Trafalgar Square, and that sure was a good art museum. Based on my scant memory, most of the museums in Washington DC are FOC. So, EUR 10 to visit a museum at the tail-end of a 16 day trip did seem pricey!

This is our very cool apartment at Schwedenplatz, which was a mere 10 minute walk from Stephansplatz - the centre of Vienna!
We cooked breakfasts of ham, sausages and bread in this very tiny kitchen.
Stephansdom was partially under construction and I liked how they used cloth specially printed with the cathedral motifs to cover the mess up. Look carefully and you'll notice how neatly the motifs are aligned to the structure! Beats having ugly scaffolding and green netting uglify the view, that's for sure!
At the impressive Hofburg entrance.

Lots of knight-on-horse statues in Vienna...this one was taken at sunset from the Hofburg.
Church of St Charles at Karlsplatz.
I have great admiration for Austrian architect Otto Wagner and his creations. Top to bottom: Majolica House, Medallion House and the twin pavilions for Karlsplatz station.


Hanging out in alfresco cafes at Stephansplatz, strolling along Kartnerstrasse and Kohlmarkt doing real shopping and window shopping (I'll admit here that P and I loitered around the Chanel boutique one too many times, even after shopping hours...my idea of course!), gaping at the impressive Hofburg, snacking on big fat Wiener sausages and yummy Italian gelato...doing all of these with my darling P made the trip special and memorable for me! Till the next trip! :)

No comments: