Thursday, November 11, 2010

Seoul searching

I'm back from my week-long trip to Seoul! The last time I was there was eons ago with my parents on a packaged tour, which I could not remember much of, so I was really looking forward to visiting Seoul again on my own. Well, not alone, but with a bunch of good friends this time!

As Cathay Pacific was having a promotion, we snagged return tickets at only S$580 per pax. The catch was that it included a stop-over in HK, which meant that we got into Seoul in the wee hours of the morning without much sleep. When we arrived, we dropped off our luggage at Hotel The Sunbee, a small establishment smack in the heart of Insadong, a traditional street in Seoul. I would highly recommend this hotel, as the location was fantastic and the hotel was good value for money.

As we were all tired from our flight, we decided to have a leisurely morning at the Changdeokgung palace, a UNESCO world heritage site, which was a short walk from our hotel. If one wishes to visit the Secret Garden at the rear of the palace, one had to purchase a separate ticket and join a walking tour, which we did.

Changdeokgung palace


Secret Garden with its magnificent hues of yellow, orange and red.

We spent the next few days visiting the various districts in Seoul - Insadong, Myeongdong, Dongdaemun, Nandaemun, Ewha university area, Hongdae, Apgujeong and Samcheongdong. My favourites are Myeongdong, Nandaemun, Hongdae and Samcheongdong. Dongdaemun, with its sprawling buildings of shopping malls, was somewhat a let-down. Our experience was worsened after we unknowingly took a black taxi back to our hotel after midnight and had to pay a staggering sum for the ride. Tip: 1. Never, ever take a black taxi 2. Always take a cab back to your hotel before midnight. The cabbies do not use the meter after midnight and quote a price 6 times more than the regular metered rates 3. If you really have to, take the regular taxi and pay 6 times the usual price instead of taking a black taxi.

Samcheongdong - Quaint, quiet and pretty - I fell in love with the quirky coffee joints lining the sidewalks and enjoyed exploring the sloping alleys of the Bukchon Hanok village behind Samcheongdong. We hung out in a cafe, bought dresses from a small boutique and snapped photos of ourselves against a picturesque wall.

Myeongdong and Cheonggye stream  - I loved Myeongdong for its vibrancy and liveliness, where shopping and food can be found in abundance. We were there at night mostly, as the shops close late. We also caught the Nanta Cooking show (highly recommended) at the UNESCO building.

Nandaemun market - Shopping heaven! Treasure trove!

Ewha university area and Hongdae flea market - Personally, I found shopping near the Ewha university a delight as the prices were lower as compared to other places. Hongdae was edgy and funky, with its graffiti-clad walls and flea market. 

And last but not least, the glorious food of Seoul

We left Seoul just as the weather started to turn very cold. Despite the biting winds, Seoul has warmed my heart and soul. If I had to choose a 3rd home after Malaysia and Singapore, it'll have to be Seoul. If I had a chance to work in Seoul, I'll take it up in a heartbeat. Meanwhile, I can only hope that my next trip there will not be too far away.

1 comment:

Cher Yan ~ Ziyan said...

Wow! Looks like you had a great time! I love your pictures too! Esp the ones with the wall and leaves growing on the background. Arty! :)