Friday, January 21, 2011

Arty farty me

Cher and I attended an art class @ Artspace 2 days ago. Coincidentally, I was interested in this introductory art workshop once upon a time many years ago, so when Cher asked, I agreed without much hesitation! Those who know me would know that I'm hopeless at drawing. I still draw stick men and my favourite picture comprises a house sitting on grass with daisies that are too tall, fluffy clouds, some V-shaped birds and a big beaming sun! I know right, so kiddy? And my drawing hasn't improved one bit over the years!

Perhaps inspired by the beautiful art paintings at the Louvre, we signed up for a 2-class course @ $70 per person, all materials inclusive. We had a choice of oil or acrylic painting, and we both picked acrylic. There were 12 people in the class, and surprisingly, the split of oil vs acrylic was quite equal. For our first lesson, we had to paint 3 simple objects in different shapes - a cube, a ball and a banana. We learnt about proportion, how to blend paint to make it opaque, how to use different shades to contrast lighting and some other useful techniques.

It was a 3-hour session but the instructor tried to make it as informative and interactive as possible. I certainly had fun, and am looking forward to the next class. Here's a pic of me with my "masterpiece".

Alas! I think the neighbour did a better job at shading than me!

No comments: