Friday, January 11, 2008

Reflection on 2007

In the blink of an eye, we have heralded in the new year and left 2007 far behind us. I've neither had time to sit down and reflect on the year that has so fleetingly passed me, nor anticipate what the new year will bring me.

2007 was definitely a time of change where my career was concerned. I took a big step and left my shelter...a place which was both familiar and comforting to me, a place which saw my peers and I grow up and bond together. Leaving certainly was difficult, but the reason to leave at that time was so compelling and as they say, opportunity doesn't knock twice. Till this day, I still miss some of the people in my old firm, and though painful, I have accepted that things can never be what they were again.

The past year in the new firm is what I would describe as tumultuous. Going into a new job scope and environment meant a great deal of re-learning. I had to start from scratch and seek guidance (instead of being the one providing guidance!) from junior staff. I invested time and effort to build new relationships with my colleagues and clients. And most crucially, I had to adjust to the dynamics of the new firm. It was truly a humbling experience! Earlier in the year, a couple of unpleasant incidents shattered my confidence and morale badly. I was miserable, depressed and unmotivated. Fortunately, things have taken a turn for the better and I am glad I gave myself the time to slowly adjust and recover.

The past year has left me feeling jaded, insecure and drained. I can't say I'm truly happy here but neither am I unhappy. Metaphorically, I feel like I am just "floating" around, without a destination and purpose. I want to feel more passionate and optimistic about my job but I don't know how to achieve that. I refuse to make resolutions that I know will not stick. Hopefully, the answers that I seek will find me faster than I can find them...

1 comment:

onebowl said...

hey, if its any consolation, you are not alone... prob like 99% of the ppl out there feels the way you do :D *i think*