Monday, July 12, 2010

1 year older, none the wiser

I grow a year older today.

Birthday celebrations officially started last Tuesday with my dear pal CX at Marmalade Pantry, Ion. I was a big fan of MP - used to frequent the one at Palais Renaissance but due to their limited menu, I stopped going there a few years back. To my delight, the food is just as good as ever; I had the aglio olio sakura ebi cappellini which was very simple but unusual. Think fried "hae-bi" spaghetti drenched in olive oil - yums! CX had Thai basil rice, which she enjoyed too. MP was having a drinks promotion so I ordered a glass of lychee Bellini to accompany my meal for only $6/glass. Ladies will be happy to know that they offer a 20% discount for ladies night...I am not sure if every night is a ladies night so best to call up and check.

Second celebration was a family night out at our favourite western restaurant in JB - TGIF. Daddy, little bro, P and I indulged in the Jack Daniel's back ribs while Hayden had a medium-rare JD steak. I never used to be a ribs person, but I'm now a convert! The meat fell off the bone at the slightest tug and every mouthful created an explosion of taste and flavour! P and I were debating if the TGIF or Applebees ribs tasted better. I'd say TGIF wins because of that special sweet JD sauce! The bros had very thoughtfully bought me a Baskin Robbins chocolate ice cream cake in the shape of a heart, which I heart!


Sunday night was a BBQ party at an ex-colleague's lush pad @ River Valley with the SATC gang. Dear S has an awesome electric BBQ pit that churned out well-roasted meat that retained all its natural juices. We had beef, pork, banana leaf otah, sausages and chicken wings, all browned to perfection by none other than chef J - crispy on the outside, succulent and juicy on the inside. All that sinful food followed by the highly-raved about cake from Swiss bake - Paradiso and ice cream from Udders. Thank you dear friends! :)


Monday was dinner with my dear P. Since it was my birthday, P acceded to my whim to watch Despicable Me (he usually avoids cartoons). I loved it! I think P loved it too as he was smiling a lot during the show and laughing away at the cute yellow characters. Very good cartoon that will definitely make you laugh, unless you have no sense of humour! Movie was followed by dinner at Kuriya dining @ GWC - pricey but very very good quality Japanese food. To me, one of the finest and comparable to our excellent dining experience at Sumitomo building, Tokyo in 2008. Sweet P presented me with a wad of Singtel vouchers, and set his rule that the vouchers can only be used to purchase the iPhone! Ahhh, what a dictator, so looks like I'll be jumping on the iPhone bandwagon shortly!

No comments: