Monday, July 12, 2010

Perennial neck ache

Neck problems of late - sign of old age? It sucks to not be able to lift your head and walk with your head held high. P commented that I look like I'm guilty of something with my head hung so low.

I don't really know what caused it but my guess is the rather deflated memory pillow that I've been sleeping on since early last year. There are nights I'll sleep on my back and not turn at all during the night - and coupled with a pillow that offered little support for my neck, I must have sprained it somehow. Initially, both sides of the neck were painful but the pain in the right side has subsided and I am now left with a dull ache on the left side.

Should I see a sinseh? I don't know...I've seen my regular doctor who prescribed cream and painkillers but I don't think they're "curing" the problem. Hmmmm I'm partly worried that inaction on my part to get the problem fixed will lead to greater problems in the future, such as rheumatism, etc *shudders*

Meanwhile, please do not be offended if I don't turn my head to talk to you, as I'm trying to minimise unnecessary movement as far as possible.

7 comments:

YH said...

hey gal, can try going for massages! those traditional javanese ones, ask for a neck and shoulder massage to target your ailment. i also had a perennial neck ache - it used to hurt just bending my head down... went for massage for 3 consecutive weeks and it got better, the masseuse kneaded away hard at the "knots" at the joints between my neck and back of the shoulders.
the one i went to is Tamarind Spa near my place, $38 for a half hour of head, neck & shoulders massage.
coincidentally i'm also using a memory foam pillow, maybe u can try turning it over...

Jellbell from Hell said...

I turn my pillow every night but the problem is that on very tired nights, I don't move at all in my sleep! I guess being in the same position for 7 hours created a strain on my neck? And my memory pillow is a cheap one so it became lumpy over the year. I shall try out the massage, need one badly for my tense shoulders and neck area.

Cher said...

Lak, I went for a massage course and the trainer said I have strain in the neck, and its becos I read for too long, holding my book in a very low position. Like the neck is bent for too long. Maybe its the same way for you? Try holding your reading material higher! :)

Jellbell from Hell said...

Haha maybe I shld lift my laptop! put some files under it! Thanks Cher!

onebowl said...

oo.. i have nothing to say..but just wanna join in the fun by commenting...

*thinks hard...*

errr. lak, u said u have a new unused unopened one right? u shd start using it and throw away the dodgy lumpy one! :D

Jellbell from Hell said...

Hahaha good attempt e1! I do have a new unused pillow la...but i can't bear to part with the lumpy one!

Anonymous said...

My neck and back problem finally solved. Try changing pillow. Replaced my 2 yrs old memory foam pillow with high resilience foam pillow. Slept so well last nite

J