Sunday, June 03, 2012

Dresden

Dresden is made up of an old town (Aldstadt) and new town (Neustadt). Both very compact and walkable; however, if one is lazy, it's a good idea to buy an all-day tram ticket which doesn't cost much. I was staying at the Westin Bellevue hotel located in Neudstat, right next to the river and bridge linking the two towns. The historic sights are mostly located in Aldstadt but by this time, I was kinda tired of looking at old buildings, cathedrals, etc. Hence, Neustadt was like a breath of fresh air for me - it was edgy, vibrant and trendy, partly because of its student community.  I put my camera to work immediately to capture the "alternative" lifestyle here.


Street art in the form of graffiti.
 Gotta love retro cars.
Cool people just hanging out. Noticed many people walking around barefooted!

We ventured further up Neustadt in search of Pfunds - the most beautiful dairy shop in the world as logged in the Guiness Book of Records. Unfortunately, it was closed! However, all was not lost from the discovery of this very impressive 3D life-like mural in a deserted parking lot nearby.
A beautiful church in Neudstadt
Possibly my favourite photo of the entire trip - outside a small nondescript restaurant.
Golden Rider, a gilded equestrian statue of Augustus the Strong, is one of Dresden's best known landmarks.


I'd be letting Dresden down if I didn't include at least 1 pic of Aldstadt, so here's one taken at night from the gardens of Westin Bellevue.

No comments: