Thursday, January 15, 2009

Damn that slipper thief

3 months or so ago, I had a pair of my favourite (green) Havaianas slippers stolen. In its heyday, it looked real groovy and cool but after 5 years of wear and tear, the last I remember of it, it looked dirty and disgusting. At that time, I was thinking who in their right mind would want a pair of old and crummy flip flops? To even pick up a pair that's not my own seems gross and unhygienic to me. Ugh. On the bright side, I had 2 pairs outside and I was thankful that the thief didn't steal the pair that I liked better (plain boring brown pair).

After the incident, I did my best to keep the brown pair in the house, but of course, I grew complacent and forgot now and then. 2 days ago, the worst happened - the brown pair got snitched! I bet it's the same thief and I hope that idiot trips and falls flat on his/her face in those lovely flip flops of mine.

It really makes me wonder if the thief is a worker or neighbour? I've got size 6 feet so it's probably a girl or teen? My very helpful landlord took the trouble to walk around our level and a few levels up and/or down to see if he could rescue my slippers, but his efforts were in vain.

So...the verdict is, if you live in a HDB flat, never ever leave your slippers outside and take it for granted that no one's gonna steal it coz it's just a pair of smelly slippers. The slipper thief obviously knew how to tell a branded pair from an ordinary pair. Just look at my neighbour's unharrassed ugly Batas?

So, 3 pairs stolen in total...one for each year in Queenstown. I am not beaten - I have a new pair stashed away for emergencies like this, and I'm gonna make sure this pair stays with me for a long, long time!

No comments: