Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Spa that was not well

I'm starting to come to terms with my recent financial loss. It all started with the sudden closure of Wellness Village (WV), the spa that I frequent for my facial and massage sessions. With no explanation and without any warning, they just went kapoot and fled with all of its members' hard-earned money. I signed a $1,500 package with them in 2008, and to date, I've only used about half of them, which means a realised financial loss of $750.

I was mad, furious yet I knew there was little I could do to get my money back. A Mr Fung, one of the victims of the WV saga, has stepped out to gather all affected to lodge a police report in the hope that more people would translate into a bigger voice and prompt action would follow. Mr Fung has also set up a WV victim page on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=335011150170 to provide updates and a forum for discussion. At the police station, I realised that there were people who were more badly hit than myself, including one who had signed up for a $3k package the weekend before WV's closure. I was glad that the last time the WV sales promoter tried to get me to sign up for a bigger package, I told her straight up that WV sucks and I can't wait to exhaust my existing package and join another spa. Funny that this is going to happen quicker than I expected.

I have even lodged a claim with the Small Claims Tribunal (SCT) so that in the event they manage to hunt down the owner of WV, Lia Meyrina, I have staked my claim on whatever assets there is left, which I suspect is none. The hearing is this coming Thursday, and while deep down inside I know I'm just wasting my time, I want to make sure that I've done whatever I can.

$750 could have bought me a nice Kate Spade bag? A short trip to Bangkok? Something nice for my new place? Bleh...it hurts to even think about it.

I hope they find the culprit and bring justice to us victims soon. Even if I don't get a single cent back, I need to know that once caught, Lia Meyrina will be held accountable for her irresponsible actions and will not get away scot free!

1 comment:

weihua said...

Yo Lak, forgot to tell u. There have been reports that 3 spas are willing to accept the unused amt out of goodwill. Go check it out.