Sunday, November 01, 2009

Food that rocked my weekend

It's 11.23 pm and as I recap my weekend, I'm also wondering how I'll ever manage to lose any weight at all with the countless food indulgences I've been "rewarding" myself with these days.

It poured on Friday night. As the weather was chilly and I was starving while waiting for P at home, I suggested having some Korean food at this restaurant that a client had taken me to once. I was ecstatic when he (reluctantly, possibly) agreed. So we headed to Hyang-to-gol Korean Restaurant at Amara hotel and ordered BBQ beef, pork, soup and rice. For starters, we were served a variety of appetisers to whet our appetite and clean the palate, including two variations of kimchi (sweet and sour), cold soup, salad, fried anchovies, etc. Not before long, the waitress appeared with the raw pork and beef cubes, and barbequed them right before our very eyes. Seriously, the beef was to-die-for. It was so soft and tender and having been marinated in soya sauce gave it a nice aromatic flavour. Needless to say, this was the highlight of our meal but I'd give the soup two thumbs up as well. We concluded our meal with fruits and sweet ginger soup. There are no extra charges for the appetisers and desserts, but the food here is pricey so I guess all the extra costs have already been worked in. With this delicious meal (my mouth's watering now...), I hope I've converted P into a Korean food lover!

On Saturday, it was dinner with the family at our favourite Japanese restaurant in JB. We've been frequenting this restaurant for many, many years now, and the food never disappoints! Which explains why we keep going back. We ordered our standard fare - potato croquettes (fried to perfection), gyoza (delicious with some vinegar and chilli oil), shoyu ramen, volcano maki (love the melted cheese on top) and some new interesting dishes. I was certainly bursting at the seams by the end of dinner!

Sunday and the Vongs and us were hungry after an afternoon of furniture browsing at Sungei Kadut. Actually, I think P and I were hungrier than the other 2!! So we drove and drove and ended up at the Thomson area. I remember someone telling me that the bak chor mee (minced meat noodle) along the row of shophouses near the Prata shop rocks so we decided to give it a try. And I must say I loveee it! $3 gets you a bowl of noodles with dumpling, "abalone", sliced pork, liver and a generous sprinkling of minced meat and mushrooms. It was very, very satisfying and this would be another option for lunch after our tennis games in future!

Yum yum! I hope thinking about food won't make me fat!!

No comments: