Monday, March 15, 2010

Life isn't all Ha Ha Hee Hee

In Singapore, folks are fond of ending off their sentences with a "ha ha", "hee hee" or LOL (laughing out loud). I guess one of the reasons we do that is because the written form of communication via the Internet (MSN, Facebook, email) is getting more pervasive and we've been told that the written word does not emote. Hence, at the risk of sounding too serious or offensive, we type in laughter to lighten the mood. Heck, I'm guilty of this as well! Sometimes, the ha ha hee hee comes in even when something I say isn't meant as a joke. For example:

Friend A: You've got a crooked nose.
Me (obviously pissed): No way, haha (real meaning: buzz off, asshole)
Friend A: Oh yes you do, check yourself out in the mirror.
Me (thinking, what a jerk): Must have bent my nose in my sleep last nite...heee heee (real meaning: I'll punch you in the nose if you go on)

See what I mean? So, never ever take the ha ha hee hees at face value. They're overused out of habit and the hidden meanings get plastered over more often than not. All in the name of avoiding conflict and maintaining good relations. Which isn't a bad thing but when your own feelings are compromised in the process, then what? Perhaps that's why we're always perceived as acquiescent, subservient and obedient.

Other forms of "laughter" used frequently include:

1. Tsk tsk - to express disapproval in an amused manner
Lazy boy: I copied my homework from a nerd in school.
Amused girlfrend: Tsk tsk...

2. Ka ka (my personal favourite) - cackling laughter
Unlucky pedestrian: I got hit by bird shit...
Unsympathetic friend: Ka ka ka...

3. Hur hur (unheard of till today) - similar to ha ha
Funny girl tells a joke.
Amused friend: Hur hur hur...

LOL LOL LOL!

1 comment:

weihua said...

Hehehe hahahaha hur hur hur.  So is it really true? 