Tuesday, February 06, 2007

New challenge

2 days into the new job. So far, it's been a whirlwind of faces, names, emotions and expectations. Truth be told, I have yet to recognise more than 10 faces or commit to memory more than 10 names of my new colleagues. More appalling is the fact that the 10 names and faces I can remember belong mostly to either ex-colleagues or acquaintances from yonks ago. Which goes to show that I have a long-term memory but not a short-term one. I must be getting old and senile.....

I'm sure most of you would agree that it is rather tiresome to say hi and make small talk with people whom you know are not going to make a difference in your life. But life leaves you with little choice. Seems rather jaded and anti-social to say this, I know. As we go through the daily grind, how many farces do we have to put up each day? It struck me especially hard after I met 2 of my ex-colleagues for lunch. With them, I need not pretend to be another person and I can talk my heart out without reservations. Boy, do I miss them *sob*

My emotions also went through a tumultous time, suffering mostly from a case of the nerves. Apprehensive about whether I can step up to the job and prove my worth, given the change in my job scope. Gee...why am I even putting so much pressure on myself at this point? I'm only into my 2nd day at work?!?! I too, find myself quite ridiculous.

Am I ready to face up to the challenges ahead of me? I certainly hope so. One of the biggest blunder a person can make is to have high expectations - of himself and the people around him. My friend Sinner subscribes to this equation: "No expectation = No disappointment". Could that be the key ingredient to happiness?

1 comment:

Hayden Lak said...

You are nervous maybe bcos you are still building up your confidence for this new job. I'm sure you'll feel much more relaxed once you get the hang of things ^_^