Saturday, January 06, 2007

To greener pastures

I'm finally going to fulfil my long-time wish of changing jobs! The opportunity came along late last year, and this time, I am going to seize it! Gone are the days of wishing and hoping that the purrffecct job will drop from the sky and beg me to take it. Finally, I've gathered enough resolve to rid myself of the inertia that has been plaguing me for the past few years.

I'm not saying my current job sucks. I've said many a time that I used to feel motivated about going to work and I truly loved my colleagues! Unfortunately, as you scale the ladder, you realise from the higher vantage point that the people around you are not simple as they seem. I used to tell my buddy that she and I may be loud and make a lot of "noise", but at least we're straightforward and direct. No tricks. We don't play mind games, and we steer clear from the politiking going around us. Over the last year or so, I've witnessed an exodus of the nicest colleagues I've known, and yea, the evil ones somehow stick around longer.

And then, of course, there are 2 sides of the fence. If you're on the right side, your future is made. Promotions will come along easily and you basically get to do special stuff that your peers can only think about. Question is: What do you have to do to get to the right side of the fence? Easy, just (boot)lick and suck(up) your way around. I'm no whore, and look where I got myself.

Of course, there's no guarantee that my new job will be the perfect one, but I wanna give it my best shot and cross my fingers that it'll work out for me. People always say the grass is greener on the other side. To me, the surest way to find out if that's true is to cross to that other side. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Edwin Zhang said...

the grass will definitely be greener on the other side! i fully support ur decision! haha... may the "force" be with u... hey, wish me luck too!

s p a c e d o n u t said...

welcome to 'other' side ...

hehehe

Anonymous said...

Yeah ! Good for you ! 2007 will be a great year for you ! All the best from huasenhu :)

Anonymous said...

i'm sure you'll do great out there! cos you're great!! B-LIV in yrslf, and you CAN!