Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A Nostalgic Trip

I remember how I used to complain about working in Tanjong Pagar (TP). I used to scoff about it being the suburbs and how everyone working there is so shabbily dressed for work...definitely nothing like the painted girls in power suits and killer heels you see strutting around in the central business district.

A short trip back to TP this afternoon, however, brought back feelings of nostalgia that I never thought I'll experience. My first stop was to the old cobbler seated outside 7-11. The old uncle took his time in fixing my shoe, whilst chatting to his old pal seated next to him. I stood there suppressing my impatience, whilst marvelling at how a man his age could still be so deft with his hands.

Next stop was the photo shop as I wanted to get some prints developed. The friendly lady boss chirped that my prints would be ready by tomorrow. I can't wait to see the photos taken during my last Hong Kong trip! Finally!

Last stop was to "Yin Yin Alterations" to get my pants shortened. I've been using Auntie Yin Yin (I assumed that's her name) for years now, and I trust her skill and the care that she takes with my clothes.

Once the errands were done, I took my time wandering around the shops in Amara Shopping Centre. I stopped at a boutique that I've never been in whilst working in TP and chatted to the salesgirl for a good half an hour. Of course, I left the shop with a small purchase in hand - Chilli Japanese bath sea salt. It's supposedly effective in getting rid of flab, so the salesgirl said.

No comments: