Monday, June 23, 2008

Finding that oyster

I read in an article that the best way for two single people to meet each other is through their common friend(s). Say I have a gal friend A, and she's very sweet and demure. Say I also have a guy friend B, and I think he's perfect for A. What better way for friends A and B to meet than through me!

I've met many guys in the past through different avenues - friends' introduction (with or without the matchmaking intent), online chatrooms (think Alamak, mIRC), chatting up guys in clubs (and being chatted up) and the conventional way of meeting people through work, neighbours etc.

I was the subject of a few matchmaking sessions as well. I remember one such session in particular. My friend W attempted to matchmake me with his friend J, and another friend Y tagged along for the occasion. Apparently, J had the hots for my friend Y that night but he was too shy(?) to take action. A fateful event at my place sealed the deal and J and Y have been happy together ever since! I harboured no ill feelings at this union as J's definitely not my type! *wink*

Though I derived no success from these sometimes awkward incidents, I am a firm believer that there is absolutely no harm in these introductions. Essentially, all I will be providing is a platform for two strangers to meet. If all fails, these two will continue being strangers. If there's no spark or chemistry, they end up as friends. But if there's an attraction and a chance for the acquaintance to develop, then they'd have me to thank, won't they?

Sometimes, I ponder about my own relationship with P. On days like these, I feel pretty convinced that if P hadn't found me, I would still be out there seeking love and not finding it. For it may be easy to find someone, but to find a soulmate in that someone is probably like striking 4D? For the record, I have never struck 4D in my life. Perhaps a more appropriate analogy is that we're all looking for an oyster with the pearl in it. During our quest for love, we may pick up big oysters, small oysters, deformed oysters, rotten oysters, oysters that refuse to open up, oysters that open up to reveal nothing, etc. Materialism aside, all we want is to find that one special oyster containing the pearl to our heart. Ok ok, that sounded corny, I know.

Some people may poo-pah my idea and say it's all a waste of time. Afterall, a contrived arrangement is unlikely to bear any fruits. What's the likelihood that two strangers meet for the first time and take to each other immediately?

And then some laugh at me and ask me what's my success rate? Sadly, it's zero but in my defense, some of them did become friends.

Maybe I try too hard, but if there's even a glimmer of hope that A and B will hit it off, the intermediary should not hesitate in making that introduction. Someday, I'm certain my effort will pay off in the form of success stories! :)

4 comments:

Kayie said...

So Y is the pearl to J's heart? Or maybe it should b Y's the fatty oyster bed to J? kekekeke...

Jellbell from Hell said...

Hahahahahaa wrong! It's J has the pearl to Y's heart!

Anonymous said...

Hey bud ... I like this post :) How's it going anyway?

Jellbell from Hell said...

hey bud. i haven't exactly been successful...but i haven't exactly had time to carry through some of these "matches" either! :)