Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Bygones

Sometimes, when I think back, it amazes me how during the times when I was with my ex-firm, none of my ex-colleagues had really caught me and P outside as a couple. Sure, we've been spotted here and there...waiting for a cab, window-shopping etc. Suspicions were rife, but I had always managed to convince myself that we were caught as "good friends" or "close colleagues". There was just too little evidence to charge us.

Recently, P and I bumped into H, an ex-colleague of mine and still-colleague of P. It felt really really weird being "caught", but this time, there wasn't anything to hide anymore. The coincidental encounter left me feeling out of sorts, as H had always been someone I regarded as a friend when I was still with my ex-firm, until I got together with P. At that time, P and I were trying so hard to prevent our little secret from being unearthed by prying hands. Yet, rumour-mongers persisted in digging deeper. How would you feel if the people you regarded as friends gossipped and speculated about your life behind your back? Confused and disappointed, I had callously turned my back to these so-called friends.

H and I later messaged each other, and we realised what happened was really a case of a bad misunderstanding. I felt betrayed and hurt, and she felt that if I didn't want to talk about it, there was no use in asking me about it. It felt good clearing this misunderstanding up, and I missed talking to her like back in the good old days. In fact, I miss so many people from my ex-firm, and the days we spent at suburban Tanjong Pagar. Sadly, things change, people move in and out of our lives but at least we have the beautiful memories to live by.

No comments: