Monday, July 16, 2007

Heaty or viral infection?

Remember the stories we read during our kiddy years where naughty children who indulged in too much sweets would end up with a tummyache and toothache?

If you didn't pay any heed to these stories before, you really should. Coz they're real, not some bulltrap parents conjure to scare their kids. The monster hiding under your bed or in the cabinet, however, is definitely a product of our parents' overactive imagination. In my youth, the monster that could make me pee in my underpants and shudder with fear was affectionately termed "Mok Mok". If I misbehaved or didn't want to sleep, Mok Mok would be lurking in some corner waiting to catch me and take me away to his home, and I'll never see my parents again. It was amazing how a fictional and totally unbelievable character could strike so much fear in me as a kid.

But I digress. More often than not, the ailment that strikes you may not take the form of a tummyache or toothache.... In my case, overeating and self-indulgence in rich and "heaty" food over the past week has manifested itself into a sorethroat, headache and slight fever *groan* The TCM believers say I am "heaty", the Western doctor told me that I have a viral infection and may be coming down with a flu.

Oh well, same remedy whether you belong to the TCM or the Western clan: Drink more water, get more rest, avoid fried food etc etc.

What's your Mok Mok?

No comments: