Monday, October 09, 2006

Excusez moi, are you a model?

I love the current season of America's Top Model, or Survivors in bikinis, if you like. The show features a bunch of girls pitting their worth to win a modelling contract. Each week, the contestents are put through a series of themed challenges. The judges then contemplate and concur on the "weakest" contestant, and that ill-fated gal is booted from the contest.

What struck me most this season was the disparity between the stronger and the weaker contestants.

First up, we have the tough, "never-say-die" babes like Jade and Neneh. Personally, they scare the shit out of me. They're not in the competition to make friends and they're not afraid to offend. You wanna hate these gals coz they're so arrogant and full of themselves. Yet, there are some admirable traits like self-worth and determination.

In contrast, we have the softer and perceptably weaker gals like Gina and Brook. They are pleasant, sweet and just a tad whiny....but they sincerely want to be your best friend. These gals are the constant butt of derision and mockery. They cry too much, they don't stand up for themselves, they have zilch self-confidence...you get the drift.

Put these 2 classes of personalities together and what do you get? A cat and mouse situation. My question is: Do the strong sub-consciously become bullies, or do the weak let their insecurities and lack of self-worth feed upon themselves?

With these thoughts in my mind, I straighten my back and strutted my way home, to the tune of Rupaul's sashay, shante shante shante. I've never wanted to be a model (for obvious reasons), but tonight, I wanted to feel like a model.

2 comments:

Hayden Lak said...

Jade sux, Gina forever~!

API said...

Liar, liar...(hot)pants on fire!
EVERY GIRL has dreamed of being a model before lor...and ESPECIALLY the girl with 54165436445 pairs of shoes (5 still unworn summore) ... :P