Thursday, October 19, 2006

Hey amigo!

As I grow older, I find myself becoming less and less sociable. A new colleague joins the firm and I try my utmost best to avoid eye contact with her. Not that she's ill to look at, but I dread having to make small talk about the haze, PSI level etc. However, that new colleague of mine has large, twinkly eyes that are incredibly hard to avert. Though I'm curious about her, I'm still reluctant to step out of my cubby to get to know her.

Is there something wrong with me? Is age killing my willingness to break out of my social circle and make new friends? I find this theory a bit hard to swallow. Afterall, I'm not like that all the time. Beyond the work realm, I'm actually quite happy to talk and mingle around, though it helps when the other party is a ball of fun. Dull and spiritless people, well, they just bore me to tears.

Or maybe I have become more finicky in my friend-selection process. I am aware that many people I meet along the way end up being mere acquaintances. I fully understand that the paltry amount of time I have on hand is just insufficient to develop a newly-formed friendship into something more meaningful. And finally, my demanding job has siphoned away all my energy, making whatever else requiring effort seem like a gargantuan task.

Accept it, this is a natural phenomenon that's impossible to steer away from as one grows older. I doubt that at 27, I can be adding 20 new friends a day to my Friendster account like a 15 year old can.

No comments: