Wednesday, October 11, 2006

French fries, anyone?

3rd French test...I think I might just fail this one! I screwed up my spelling, I didn't insert any of the goddamned French accents and my conjunctions were all hay-wire! Bummer!

Don't get me wrong, I love the language. To hear it spoken (fluently of course!) is like music to the ears. Mastering the language, however, is proving itself to be a formidable task. Here are a few of my gripes:-

1. French accents - Inserting the ' (the regular apostrophe), ^ (little triangular cap) and ` (rightward slanting apostrophe) on top of the magic letter of each word baffles me. Who invented that miniscule detail?!

2. Pronounciation - The "hhhhhh" sound is a killer. Pronounced correctly, it's supposed to sound like a gentle gargle. In my case, it sounds like a bad case of sore throat. Arrrgghhh!

3. Gender - Table is female and hat, male. A dog is always male (even the bitch). So is the cat. Why aren't animals given the right to embrace their own sexuality? And what determines the sex of an inanimate object? God knows. (BTW, God is masculine in French too)

Last lesson cum test next week. I will miss my classmates and teacher when it all ends. *sob*

No comments: