Sunday, April 15, 2007

Foodie!

P and I decided to satisfy our tastebuds (and wallet) at Basil Alcove. It was my 2nd time there and P's 1st. When we got to the "restaurant" (the inverted commas coz' the place ain't exactly posh yea...it has a coffeeshop feel), we were told that we'll have to wait 45 minutes for our food to come. What! That's freaking long, but since we were already there, oh well, yes we'll wait.

So we twiddled our thumbs, and contemplated getting the papers to read under the dim lighting. But then the beer came, and not long after, the Caesar Salad with chicken. I've tasted so many salads that Julius Caesar will be proud (okay, corny joke!), but this has got to be the BEST Caesar salad ever! There was a generous serving of tasty chicken and cheddar cheese, and the guy at the table next to us remarked "There's more chicken than lettuce!". So please believe me when I say generous. Of course, faced with such a delicious salad, P and I walloped every bit of it and waited for our mains to come.

P ordered lamb rack (most expensive main on the menu at $18.80) and though the serving was not large, it was delectable and not the least bit foul smelling. And again, do take my word for it coz I'm not a huge fan of lamb, but I thought the dish pleasant. Of course, P the carnivore attacked the poor baaa with relish. I had a simple Aglio spagetti (cheapest main on the menu at only $5.50) and for an inexpensive dish like that, it was extremely satisfying.

It was a pity that dessert is not the chef's specialty and so they didn't have any on the menu. But we were so stuffed and contented we wouldn't be able to stomach any more food anyway, so the lack of sweets was not too big a disappointment.

All in all, we were happy with the fine-dining-without-the frills concept, and will definitely return for more! Burrrpppp!

1 comment:

s p a c e d o n u t said...

AYE AYE!

To Basil Alcove!!!