Sunday, April 29, 2007

Mama-bear and the stick insects

Attended my old friend Cheng Li's wedding on Friday in Hyatt Hotel, JB. Cheng Li (CL) and I go way back to our NJC days, together with the other 2 suspects, Guak Ee (Guak) and Kareen Pang (KP). We used to stay in the former Hwa Chong Hostel, where we would hang out at Guak and KP's room for blanket parties (this involved 3 of us - usually KP, CL and CY, hiding behind a blanket and doing a little ditty. Guak was usually in-charge of playing the music) maggi mee feasts and disco dancing (dimming the lights and playing retro music to boogie-woogie to).

We always thought CL would be the 1st to marry, but KP beat her to it! Muahaha!

Sadly, after JC, we all parted ways. Guak and KP went to NUS, CL went to LSE in London and I went to NTU. Fortunately for the 3 of us in Singapore, we still had the chance to meet up now and then. For CL, who was far far away in London, the only way to communicate was via e-mail, and even then, we could not maintain the correspondence over the years.

Anyway, CL got in touch with us a couple of months back to invite us to her wedding! She was getting married to "Parrot" (the nickname we bestowed on her husband-to-be back in the hostel days). Why we nicknamed him that, I have no idea...presumably because he looked like one?

CY with the blushing bride CL!!

With Guak, the mei-nu of our group!

KP (left) and Christina (right) Chris was my roommate during our hostel days. Super gung-ho and outgoing, she used to throw apple cores out the window and scream at the neighbours to SHUT-UP when things got too rowdy.

Group picture. Does the groom resemble a parrot? You be the judge.

I had a hard time picking out the photos 'coz I looked like a bloody sack in all of them. I thought a baby-doll would do well to hide my flaws, but my plan obviously backfired! I felt like a mama-bear next to my petite stick-insect friends. And I acted like one too! I was going for my 2nd round of the buffet but my friends were already into sweets! Felt like such a glutton man!

Boy would I love to be labelled a stick insect one of these days! And I'm going to hide this unflattering dress into the deepest, darkest corner of my wardrobe! Boo!

No comments: